Apple French Onion Soup
Author: Sparkle Markets
The apple flavors add a perfect hint of fall!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 lbs. onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 bay leave
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. brandy
- 4 1/2 inch thick slices of day old bread, toasted
- 1 1/2 cup Fontina, grated
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and water and cook for about 1 hour, covered, until completely tender and caramelized.
- Add apple and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour and cook for another minute. Add wine and deglaze the pan. Add broth, cider and bay leave. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Add brandy. Divide soup between oven safe bowls and top with toast, followed by cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbling and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.