Ring in the New Year with Pork, Kielbasa and Sauerkraut. Stop in the meat department for fresh, lean meat!
Pork, Kielbasa and Sauerkraut
Author: Sparkle Markets
- 1 (32 oz.) jar or bag sauerkraut, drained
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 (2 lb.) boneless pork loin roast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 lb. kielbasa, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Cover bottom of slow cooker with jar of sauerkraut. Sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds. Season pork with salt and pepper. Brown pork in a large skillet on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, add onion, apples, thyme and garlic. Sauté until onion and apples are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer apple mixture to slow cooker and arrange around pork. Add beer to skillet, bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until pork is fork-tender. In the last hour of cooking, arrange kielbasa pieces around edges of slow cooker.